Daring Bakers: Olive Straws, Cheese Palmiers and the missing Vol-au-Vent - Bâtonnets aux Olives et Palmiers au Fromage

IMG_3476 blog red1
Le texte en français suit un peu plus bas.

The September 2009 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Steph of A Whisk and a Spoon. She chose the French treat, Vol-au-Vent based on the Puff Pastry recipe by Michel Richard from the cookbook Baking With Julia by Dorie Greenspan.

group_w150x100-2

Well, aren't we already september 27th and it's now time to reveal our monthly challenge for the Daring Bakers. It's Steph from A Whisk and A Spoon who chose the recipe for this month. Vol-au-Vent are inseparable from flaky pastry, and without flaky pastry, vol-au-vent won't soar. I've fashioned flaky pastry before, but I had never tried Mr. Michel Richard's. I'd always wanted to try his recipe, but every time I needed some, I always returned to my old habits. So I'm quite glad this little challenge forced me out of my old habits.

First, though, there's something you should know about me: when I was a little girl, I had to follow my mother everywhere, and that included a vast number of art gallery openings. I loved walking in the venues where my mom's art was exhibited and listen to the varied opinions people had towards my mother's works, but I always hated the little bites that were offered in small vol-au-vent. Sweet or salty didn't matter, I was never interested. Always too much pastry and not enough filling for my taste. I'm all grown up now and still don't like those. If I want the pleasure of flaky pastry, I'm more prone to make some lovely tartlets. So you'll have to forgive me for not quite following the guidelines of this challenge.

Obviously, I made flaky pastry, but no vol-au-vent! Instead, I made olive straws and parmesan cheese palmiers.

For the olive straws, I got the idea from the Michel Roux's wonderful book: Pastry Sweet and Savory. So cute, impressive and easy to make, I would've loved to have this idea first! I'm told it was delicious, but I didn't take a bite since I'm allergic to olives. So you'll have to trust my tasters.

And for the cheese palmiers, no recipe needed. You simply roll the dough, daub it with a little water and sprinkle parmesan cheese, and voilà!

IMG_3395 blog red1

For today, I couldn't post all the steps to prepare flaky pastry, so come back in a bit for the full dossier. As for the recipe, you should visit The Daring Kitchen to see it.

Many thanks to Steph for the blog A Whisk and A Spoon for this wonderful challenge.

And don't forget to visit the delicious works of the other members of The Daring Bakers.

IMG_3434 red 1

Nous sommes déjà le 27 septembre et voilà que c'est le moment de vous dévoiler le défi du mois des Daring Bakers. C'est Steph de A whisk and A Spoon qui a choisi la recette ce mois-ci. Derrière les Vol-au-Vent se cache la pâte feuilletée, car sans pâte feuilletée impossible de créer les Vol-au-Vent. J'ai déjà préparé de la pâte feuilletée mais c'est la première fois que j'ai l'occasion de préparer celle de Monsieur Michel Richard. Je m'étais promis de l'essayer, mais lorsque j'avais besoin de pâte feuilletée je retournais inévitablement à ma recette habituelle. Je suis bien heureuse de ce défi qui m'a offert la possibilité de ne pas me défiler et d’éviter de retourner à mes vieilles habitudes.

La première chose que vous devez savoir, lorsque j'étais une petite fille, je devais suivre ma mère lors de ces nombreux vernissages. J'aimais beaucoup me promener dans les galeries ou ma mère exposait et écouter les critiques des gens sur le travail de ma mère, mais j'ai toujours détesté toutes ces petites bouchées que l'on nous offrait dans des petits vol-au-vent. En sucré ou en salé cela ne m'a jamais intéressé... Toujours trop de pâte et pas suffisamment de garniture à mon goût. Même aujourd'hui les vol-au-vent sont loin d'être mes favoris. Si je veux me faire plaisir avec de la pâte feuilletée, je prépare plutôt de délicieuses tartelettes. Alors, vous me pardonnerez de ne pas avoir respecté à la lettre les directives de ce défi.

Évidemment, j'ai fait la pâte feuilletée, mais pas un seul vol-au-vent! J’ai plutôt préparé des bâtonnets aux olives et des palmiers au fromage parmesan.

Pour les bâtonnets aux olives, j'ai pris l'idée dans le magnifique livre de Michel Roux: Pastry Sweet and Savory. C'est tellement joli, impressionnant et facile à faire que j'aurais bien aimé avoir eu cette fantastique idée... Apparemment c'était délicieux, mais je n'y ai pas goûté, car je suis allergique aux olives. Alors vous devrez vous fier à mes goûteurs.

Pour ce qui est des palmiers au fromage, pas besoin de recette. Il suffit de rouler la pâte, de badigeonner d’un peu d’eau et de saupoudrer de fromage parmesan et voilà!
Il m'est impossible aujourd'hui de publier les étapes de la préparation de la pâte feuilletée, revenez un peu plus tard pour le dossier complet. Pour la recette en anglais seulement: The Daring Kitchen.

IMG_3388 blog red 1

Un grand merci à Steph du blog: A Whisk and A Spoon pour ce merveilleux défi.

N'oubliez pas de jeter un coup d'oeil aux délicieuses réalisations des autres membres des Daring Bakers.

33 commentaires:

  1. Anonyme9/28/2009

    Mignons les palmiers!

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Delicious looking palmiers. The olive palmier look funky and delicious!

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. I agree with you that too many of these nibbles at events are dry and interesting so I love your ideas. Palmiers and straws are two of my favourite snacks. Tout ce que tu fais est si joli!

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. Wahou, superbe! Tes créations sont irrésistibles et si belles! Bravo!

    Bises et bon début de semaine,

    Rosa

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. ces flutes aux olives sont délirantes!!

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. Belle réalisation chez toi aussi :)
    Merci pour ton retours, ça me rassure !
    La préparation que j'avais faite était super bonne, heureusement car ça m'a réconforté dans mon foirage de la pâte ;)

    bizz

    RépondreSupprimer
  7. Your blog is great! Will visit often :)

    RépondreSupprimer
  8. Following your mom around art galleries sounds like such a storybook childhood! Your Parmesan palmiers would be such a treat with a meal!

    RépondreSupprimer
  9. Lovely story =D. I love the palmiers and the different shapes you made!

    RépondreSupprimer
  10. Love the palmiers. Interesting take with the olives. Have got to try these some day.

    RépondreSupprimer
  11. Your use of the puff pastry is really great. The olive straws are amazing and I would like a few of those parmesan palmiers right about now!!!

    RépondreSupprimer
  12. Plus ça change... (plus c'est la même chose.:)Les bâtonnets et palmiers a l'air délicieux!

    RépondreSupprimer
  13. Lovely job Isabelle. I love the olive ones. I was so close to making them (ah, great minds think alike). I had seen Michel Roux make them on Martha Stewart's show. I just love the idea. I am thinking I will make them for a New Year's appetizer.

    RépondreSupprimer
  14. Thank you SOOO much for the comment you made on my blog! I really felt welcomed to Daring Baker's world! =)

    Both of your creations seem delicious, but I have to admit: I'm a sucker for palmiers... And yours look MAGNIFIQUE

    RépondreSupprimer
  15. How creative, I'm so impressed with your results! Great work!

    RépondreSupprimer
  16. Isabelle, I can imagine your childhood refusals so well! Bah, pastry. It needs good filling. Beautiful palmiers, and your cheese and olive sticks remind me so much of my favorite kid's book. I'll have to go find it!

    RépondreSupprimer
  17. I love palmier... looks so beautiful! Well done.

    RépondreSupprimer
  18. Isabelle, I love how you took full reign and said 'I'm going to use the puff pastry the way I like it!", and boy did it pay off. Your cheese palmiers are stunningly perfect and gorgeous, and the olive straws look and sound so briny/savory/crispy/flaky! Beautiful job as always!

    RépondreSupprimer
  19. Those olive straws look so cool! Love all the colours and I'm sure it would taste fantastic.

    RépondreSupprimer
  20. Oh là là...Ils sont Magnifiques tes palmiers ma Chère Isa;)

    Bonne semaine!! xxx

    RépondreSupprimer
  21. These are so unusual and very attractive. My daughter loves puff pastry as long as it has no filling in it. :)

    RépondreSupprimer
  22. the olive straws are genius! I've never seen anything like it. It's good to see other puff pastry variations after the vols-auvent bombardment after the posting date :)

    RépondreSupprimer
  23. You are a culinary artist! Love what you've done with the puff pastry...so beautiful!

    RépondreSupprimer
  24. superbement original cette présentation. bise

    RépondreSupprimer
  25. J'aime bien la forme des bâtonnets !!!

    RépondreSupprimer
  26. I love both your palmiers and your olive straws - they look so good!

    RépondreSupprimer
  27. Your cheese palmiers are stunningly perfect! and the olive straws look and sounds amazing! thank you for the sweet comments and stopping by. =)

    RépondreSupprimer
  28. Great idea - they would be perfect for parties!

    RépondreSupprimer
  29. Bonjour Isabelle, je suis heureuse de ta visite et tu seras toujours la bienvenue.
    Ton blog est très intéressant et tu partages des recettes très alléchantes.

    Passe une belle journée et à bientôt.
    Josée xx

    RépondreSupprimer
  30. Those are so cute! I love them.

    RépondreSupprimer
  31. Beautiful palmiers! I saw Michel Roux make the olive straws on Martha Stewart's show, and remembered they looked real cool. And your kitty is adorable!

    RépondreSupprimer

Merci de votre visite!
Vos commentaires sont extrêmement appréciés et sachez que je lis tous mes messages. Soyez assurés que si vous avez un blog, je vais sûrement vous faire une petite visite!

Thanks for stopping by!
If you are thinking of leaving a comment, please do! And if you have a blog too, I will definitely be stopping in!

Bonne Journée!